The only thing worse than being sick

is being sick away from home.

I had a work conference at the beach from last Sunday through yesterday. The conference was held about 45 minuted from my sister’s house. DH and I planned on going to her house to visit her family, since the last time we saw them was at Christmas. When I called down to see if it was still ok, I found out that everybody down there had gotten sick. It was a nasty stomach bug, with all that entails. But they said that I should call back on Friday to see how they were doing.

When I called back, they were all wiped out, but hadn’t had a bad episode all day. DH and I decided that we would drive down on Saturday if they were better, otherwise we would head straight down for the conference on Sunday. Saturday morning they were better, and we beat the weather down to the gulf coast. It was nice to see my sister, her husband, niece and nephew. The kids were having a good time. We went out to dinner and came back and crashed.

Sunday morning we got up and had breakfast, then DH & I drove to my conference. It wasn’t too far, and we got there as things were starting up. I found my compatriots from work, and went to the opening sessions. The opening sessions weren’t anything great, but I still went. Dinner was included in the conference, so I went to it. I felt like I over ate, but wasn’t too uncomfortable. When I got back to the room, I found my local access numbers and got online to check my emails and the like. I tried to sleep that night, but it wasn’t restful, and my upset stomach was not helping.

Monday morning I didn’t want to get out of bed, but I had to. And unfortunately, or perhaps fortunately is the better term, I did. That’s when I had the first real inkling that I was sick. I thought it might have been a bad something from dinner the previous night. No such luck. I had caught the bug that my sister’s family had. I tried to go to the first session, before it was obvious, but I didn’t last through it all. Instead I stayed in bed the rest of the day Monday, wiped out, feverish, and nauseous. Tuesday I was feeling a little bit better, but still exhausted, feverish and hurting. But we had to check out and come home. Thank goodness it was just the fever and exhaustion rather than the other problems. I was really glad DH was along with me.  I didn’t want to be driving back to town myself.  If I had been there by myself, I probably would have driven to my sister’s and slept there until I work up rested enough to drive home.