Fighting with the connection

Yesterday our internet connection was down again. DH ran the gamut of his abilities in trying to connect to our account online. We have DSL, it goes through a wired router. Earlier in the year there was a problem with our connection. The phone company messed up the setup at their end and didn’t have our line configured properly. We lost a week’s worth of connectivity due to their screwup, thank you not AT&T. So when DH couldn’t connect to the internet after he got home, he called me to see if I knew of something he should do. I had him tell me everything he had done, and found that he did everything I would have done and couldn’t go further without a call to Earthlink tech support. Since his patience for that is about nil, I told him I would go ahead on and call tech support after I got home.

I finally got home after choir practice, ate dinner, and turned on my computer. I could get into the router, but it sure wouldn’t connect when I tried it. So I started the descent into tech support hell. First was navigating the automated answering system. “Please state your problem. Please tell your problem” I have said the problem, it would help if your system actually recognized the words I used. “We are experiencing high levels of calls, please hold the line.” After about 30 or so minutes on hold, I got to speak to the first support tech. She was not a native english speaker. She was working from the script, but was having problems trying to find our account information. She put me on hold several times as she was working an researching the problem. Unfortunately aft I had been on hold with her for about 20 minutes, the system cut off and the call hung up. I was not pleased with that. That made me peeved.

I called the support line back, and as I was trying to navigate the system again, it disconnected. That was not a very good thing either. I was starting to get annoyed with Earthlink support.

Third time’s the charm, right? So I called back a third time. After navigating the automated answering system from hell, and waiting for a tech, I got a guy to answer the phone. So we got the account verified and started into the troubleshooting. We started into it and got into getting into the control panel stuff. And midway through it, he decided that I needed to be handed off to another person in a different area. sigh. So I talked to the 4th person. And we determined that the modem itself works. So under her direction I connected the modem directly to the computer, set up a new connection to the account on the computer, and got through. And I found out that Earthlink charges a router maintenance fee of $7.95 per month. There’s no way in hell I’m going to sign up for that, the router was working perfectly the day before. We had it set up for our account, and there was no way this tech was going to talk anything about the router. Fine. Sure. No Problem. The modem is verified as working, its 10:30 at night and I’m tired of the run around. Thanks for your help, I’m done.

I turned the computer off and went to bed. Of course, this morning at work I thought of something to try. So when DH called me during the day, I told him what I though might work. And when I got home this afternoon, he made that change and the router connected! Obviously, since now I’ve posted this from my house tonight. Hooray DH, and boo Earthlink.

DSL line back, w00t!

So we have access again. There was a problem at the phone company’s site. They had crossed the lines at the box or something like that. Ptthbt to AT&T for the run around when we initially called them and having to let Earthlink contact them to get the line straightened out. I’m not impressed with the death star’s lack of customer service.